|Creative writing - All
What is this course about?
This course is for anyone with an interest in writing. The course will cover a variety of techniques including: Three minute ‘warming’ - weekly intro writing exercises with pictures and music; Drabbles and flash fiction - ‘get it down in 100 words’; Short story - how to develop plot, characters, dialogue, strong beginnings and endings; One sided telephone conversation - exercises in dramatic dialogue; Writing for radio; Poetry workshops - from limericks to sonnets; Create and perform a ten minute play (small group work); How to structure your novel . You will learn the skills required to: Find your writer’s voice and style; Develop narrative techniques - simple and complex; Build a portfolio of work including short fiction, poetry and plays; ‘Read and share’ - build confidence to read aloud within the group and engage in feedback sessions; Enter writing competitions.
What are the entry requirements?
You will need a good level of spoken and written English for this course.
What will I learn?
You will learn the skills required to:
- Find your writer’s voice and style
- Develop narrative techniques - simple and complex
- Build a portfolio of work including short fiction, poetry and plays
- ‘Read and share’ - build confidence to read aloud within the group and engage in feedback sessions
How will the course be delivered and how will I be assessed?
The course will be delivered through:
- individual readings at the start of each session followed by group feedback
- tutor led presentations followed by exercises in class and read-back sessions
- radio and TV ‘listen and view’ sessions
- guest speakers (novelists/journalists/poets)
- writing competitions
- Workshops with guest facilitator
An initial assessment at the beginning of the course will establish your starting point, including skills, experience, confidence and preferred learning styles. It will also give your tutor an indication of your personal objectives. Subsequently, your tutor will be observing and discussing with you your progress at each stage, making suggestions as to how to improve your skills and achieve your objectives.
What are the extra costs?
None, but you must bring a note pad and pen.
What can I progress to next?
You could progress to more advanced writing courses at other educational establishments.