Courses for adults
|Keeping up with the Children - English||EC5800||Tuesday
How will this course benefit me?
This course is for parents, carers and grandparents of children in primary schools, children’s centres and nurseries who want to support children’s learning. You will increase and improve your knowledge and understanding of how and what children learn in literacy lessons at school. You will also have the opportunity to refresh your own literacy skills and knowledge. Adults will learn the basic skills and knowledge that could inspire and enhance career prospects.
What are the entry requirements?
You will need a basic level of English (Entry Level2).
You must be able to commit to the full course with the intention of attending every session.
What will I learn?
To develop and improve your
- knowledge of phonics and the relationship between letters and sounds
- knowledge of spelling strategies, whilst building confidence with spelling
- understanding of how children learn to read and write
- understanding of grammar e.g. nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs
- understanding of punctuation e.g. full stops, commas, apostrophes and speech marks
- awareness of some of the features of different text types g. explanations, instructions, letters, fiction/ non-fiction
- understanding of English vocabulary and terms used in school
What can I progress to next?
Progress to the next level City & Guilds English, Maths and Skills for Life courses
Keeping up with the Children Maths, Science and Employability Workshops
Courses are subject to a minimum number of enrolments and could be cancelled if recruitment is low. Where possible an alternative class will be offered at a different time/location