Courses for adults
|Keeping up with the Children - Science||EG5500||Tuesday
How will this course benefit me?
This course is for parents, carers and grandparents of children in primary schools. This course will also be of interest to Learning Support Assistants, Teaching Assistants, Childminders and adults who want to support children's learning.
This course will increase and improve your knowledge and understanding of how and what children learn in Science lessons at school.
Adults will learn the basic skills and knowledge that could inspire and enhance career prospects.
What are the entry requirements?
Adults only course.
You will need a good level of English (at least Entry 3) and a basic level of Maths.
You must be able to commit to the full course with the intention of attending every session.
What will I learn?
- Develop an understanding of how children learn Science.
- Develop your own understanding of Science.
- Develop ways to help your children (at home) with their Science school learning through practical and theory work.
- Develop understanding of scientific ideas by using a range of scientific enquiry including basic experiments and investigations.
- Begin to use simple scientific language to explain what you have discovered.
- Identify and name a variety of plants, trees, animals and everyday materials.
- Describe how animals obtain their food from plants and other animals, using the idea of a simple food chain, and identify and name different sources of food.
- Describe the importance of exercise, a balanced diet and good hygiene for humans.
- Identify and compare the suitability of a variety of everyday materials, including wood, metal, plastic, glass, brick, rock, paper and cardboard for particular uses.
How will the course be delivered?
A range of teaching methods will be used, including verbal instruction and explanation, practical demonstration and application.
How will my learning be assessed?
The tutor will use observation, mark completed tasks, use Q & A and Individual Learning.
What are the extra costs?
Please bring a pen, pencil and folder for your work.
What can I progress to next?
Depending on your role, you could further your knowledge by taking up other childcare related studies such as Parenting and Teaching Assistants. Also Maths and English courses and Employability Workshops held at the Institute.
Health and Safety requirements?
You will need to follow your teacher's advice and guidance to ensure that you are participating safely and following Health and Safety procedures. For example goggles and protective clothing will need to be worn for some experiments.
Please note: You must attend every session or inform us if you can't, otherwise you will be unable to enrol on any future Family Learning courses.